Network Performance Reporting In SevOne
When you are asked by management why a disruption or degradation in application or service delivery occurred, you need to provide a rapid and thorough response.
- Why did we experience poor quality on our VoIP call this morning?
- Why was our web site taking a long time to load pages over lunch?
- Why was our order entry application temporarily offline yesterday?
Of course, sometimes you simply need to prove the network is doing its job in delivering business critical applications and services and that you’re complying with challenging SLAs.
With SevOne, you get reports instantly – in seconds – not minutes or hours as seen with other vendors, regardless of the size of your monitored domain. SevOne generates reports from the same all-in-one appliance that acts as the poller and data collector. If you have multiple appliances peered together in a SevOne Cluster™, you can report on your entire network from any appliance you choose, regardless of its geography or the devices associated with that appliance. Because there is no centralized reporting database, you will never experience the reporting bottleneck typical of other tools. SevOne currently has multiple customers who regularly see more than 1,000 concurrent users running reports from a SevOne Cluster.
Multiple Sources, One View
Multiple Sources, One View To simplify the process of creating a new report, SevOne’s Report Wizard allows you to easily indicate which resources, settings, time frames, visualizations, and summary information you need to view. You can view multiple data sources in a single dashboard format for comparison and analysis:
- Performance metrics such as SNMP, IP SLA, and JMX
- Third party data from network probes, proprietary business applications, and element management systems
- Flow data, such as NetFlow, sFlow, jFlow, and IPFIX
- Status maps with physical and geographic layouts of your network
- Device configuration information
- Fault data from traps and threshold alarms
- TopN statistics used for capacity planning and monthly overviews
- Synthetic Indicators and Custom Calculations created by your business
Raw Data, All of the Time
Most performance monitoring solutions aggregate historical data over time. For example, if you’re looking at the performance of your server pool from last month, you may be looking at daily averages and not the raw data. This presents a problem, as you can’t derive useful information from metrics that are “averages of averages” over time. Therefore, SevOne maintains a year’s worth of as-polled data – without data aggregation or roll-up – for extremely granular historical performance views.
The granularity of data displayed in SevOne is critical – not only for pinpointing and troubleshooting performance issues, but also for proper capacity planning. Reports that display projection trends for the upcoming months provide you with advanced warning of where you need to budget for future growth.
You don’t even need to build reports to get started. SevOne provides a number of pre-canned TopN and flow reports out of the box, including:
Of course, you can export any report to a PDF or e-mail the report to stakeholders, either on-the-fly or as a routine, scheduled delivery.